ACA Massachusetts Intergroup
What is an ACA Intergroup or Regional Service Committee?
[Extracted excerpt from the ACA Fellowship Text/BRB pgs. 603-606 and the ACA WSO website]
In areas where many ACA meetings exist, an Intergroup is generally formed to provide a forum for conducting ACA business within a given geographical area. The individual groups continue to conduct their own group business; however, the groups can select a meeting representative to represent the group at an Intergroup meeting. The Intergroup, therefore, is composed of members from the various ACA groups. The Intergroup helps coordinate helpline functions, public information efforts, hospitals and institutions meetings, and ACA events in a given area. When an Intergroup is formed, each ACA group elects an Intergroup representative, who attends a monthly or quarterly Intergroup meeting.*
*Please note that ACA WSO has made no determination or set guidelines on how many intergroup representatives an individual group can have.
The ACA Massachusetts Intergroup is in alignment with ACA WSO guidelines, as set forth above, by:
- Creating, maintaining, and adding content to the ACA Massachusetts Intergroup website to perform public information efforts (including our mission statement, resources, and local meeting and event info);
- Creating and maintaining an electronic newsletter and event update, and hard copy materials for distribution;
- Developing opportunities for fellowship and service through quarterly ACA Massachusetts Intergroup in-person meetings throughout the state.
The Suggested Commitment to Service
ACA Fellowship Text
I perform service so that my program will be available for myself, and through those efforts, others may benefit. I will perform service and practice my recovery by:
1. Affirming that the true power of our program rests in the membership of the meetings and is expressed through our Higher Power and through group conscience.
2. Confirming that our process is one of inclusion and not exclusion; showing special sensitivity to the viewpoint of the minority in the process of formulating the group conscience so that any decision is reflective of the spirit of the group and not merely the vote of the majority.
3. Placing principles before personalities.
4. Keeping myself fit for service by working my recovery as a member of the program.
5. Striving to facilitate the sharing of experience, strength, and hope at all levels; meetings, Intergroups, Regional committees, service boards, and World Services.
6. Accepting the different forms and levels of service and allowing those around me to each function according to their own abilities.
7. Remaining willing to forgive myself and others for not performing perfectly.
8. Being willing to surrender the position in which I serve in the interest of unity and to provide the opportunity for others to serve; to avoid problems of money, property, and prestige; and to avoid losing my own recovery through the use of service to act out my old behavior, especially in taking care of others, controlling, rescuing, being a victim, etc.
9. Remembering I am a trusted servant; I do not govern.
ACA Massacusetts Intergroup
3rd Saturday of the month
Our Intergroup is made up of volunteers from various groups around the state.
We have an intergroup chair/secretary who chairs the monthly business meetings, provides meeting notes & announcements via our group email list, and manages this website. If you would like to add your name to our Intergroup business email list (you do not need to participate in the monthly meetings), please send request to [email protected]
We also have a treasurer who tends to the donations that groups send to us to fund this website and expenses related to the quarterly events the Intergroup hosts.
Other participants are Intergroup reps from various groups around the state. The position may or may not be an official "job" with your group (though that is suggested); any ACA is welcome to join the conversation to help keep our groups connected through Intergroup service work.
Your group may send donations to:
ACA Massachusetts Intergroup
c/o Robert Reid
20b Park Circle
Nantucket, MA 02554